Why it's just air?

Ooh I love this, it makes me sound so knowledgeable. Anyway, so a friend went to Thailand and a Buddhist told her that if ever anyone says anything horrible to her she should just imagine the words flowing away on the wind away from her. Because after all, words are just caught on the air. I love that.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Roll out those bingo wings! (but only if your central heating's good...)

Roll on the hot weather. It's about time we felt the glow of sunlight on our
pasty skin . I am so sick of winter.
But you know as I survey the hordes of women in the fashion mags modelling stuff for spring and summer  , I feel a pang of sadness.
We've not all got skinny malinkey arms like those models. And because of that so
many women are missing out on feeling cool and refreshed  because
they are harbouring a guilty secret they refuse to share with the world.

We have a lot to thank Trinny and Susannah for ; The crossover top phenomenon.
The wrap dress, the long stretchy boots,but there's one rule they set that is not based in reality.
If you've got fat arms like me, says Susannah, don't ever wear a sleeveless top.
 
 I know what she's saying, I too have the bingo wings, the Betty Turpins, call them what you will.
When I raise my arm in the summer time  and there's a stiff breeze, there can
even sometimes be a parachute effect. 

 The thing is, there are many more things to worry about than whether your arms
are fat or not. Like whether you're going to expire of heat exhaustion . Or
whether your stomach is protruding over your gypsy skirt.  

 I've never thought of my arms as something to worry about. Tummy, thighs,
chest, hips, bum, you name them I've stressed over them, but arms? Arms are the
things you use to flail around when your ankle' s gone over when you're wearing
unsuitable shoes. Arms are what you use to cuddle small children, fluffy animals
and tasty men. Arms are also so helpful in that tricky cake to mouth
transaction.
 
Trinny and Susannah say cover them up. I say who wants to wear a
long sleeved shirt when it's thirty degrees outside and you've got mascara
dripping down your cheeks. Do these women live in the real world? I'm all for a
bit of bohemian , slap on a bit of high factor sunscreen, a floaty skirt and
a floppy hat and skip through the fields , but don't spend too
much time worrying about your arms.Unless you spend  hours every night lifting
weights, we've all got  soft arms and  all arms look fat in photos. If they
don't look podgy, they look stick -like. You can't win. Even Liz Hurley's arms
look  fleshy pressed against her body  in a certain light.
 
With so much
emphasis on looking perfect these days and believe me, when i was looking forward to my wedding last year  
and had a strapless dress to get into, luckily I realised there were  plenty more things
for a woman to stress about than her upper arm folds.
 
If you do one thing differently this year it should be to stop saying  "I can't wear sleeveless tops..it's my
arms you see."  You can wear sleeveless tops! You can do anything! You are woman,
you are beautiful!  . Rejoice in the fact that you've got arms , ones that you
can rest out of an open car window and let the breeze blow dry your armpit! You
can't do that sort of thing in a three quarter  sleeve cardie can you?   You'll
feel  the benefit so much more in a vest. (See your mum was right after all.)
Let your bingo wings fly free! Let's start a fat arm amnesty!

No comments: